Broccoli and Cheddar Chowder

Wednesday 15 February 2017






 I scored with a bag of broccoli at the grocery store today.  Marked down to next to nothing.  

I expect it had reached its sell-by date, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.  It was a brilliant green, and all the florets were intact.  I had to buy it.  







I decided to make a delicious and warming soup/chowder with it.   It's been freezing cold today with a bitter wind blowing. 


Soup is always welcome on a cold winter's day.  All you need to make a meal of it is some nice crusty bread really. 







Todd usually likes his soupls pureed.  I like a bit of texture in mine, and so this is a bit of a combination of both our likes. 

 I mashed some of it with a potato masher, which not only thickened it a bit, but made him happy . . . and the chunks made me happy.







I added cheese.  Broccoli and cheese are such good bed partners.   They get along quite happily.  Use a strong flavoured cheese.   A good strong cheddar works very well.  



I also added some carrot for colour and additional texture.   It's really a chowder I think . . . which is more than a soup.  A chowder is a meal. 



*Broccoli and Cheddar Chowder*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A healthy and satisfyingly delicious winter chowder recipe using up bits from the vegetable bin.  


1 TBS light olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large stalk of celery, trimmed and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 TBS plain flour
1 tsp dry mustard powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 pound fresh broccoli, stems peeled and chopped,
florets, separated and cut into bite sized pieces
900ml of vegetable stock (3 1/2cups)
120g strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
(Lower fat cheese works fine)
(plus a bit extra to sprinkle on the finished soup when you serve it)
125ml of cream (1/2 cup) (you can also use low fat evaporated milk, undiluted.  This is what I use.)
fine sea salt and black pepper to taste 


Heat the oil in a large saucepan.   Add the onion, shallot, carrot and celery.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion and celery have softened, without browning.  


Add the potato and garlic. Cook, stirring until the garlic becomes fragrant.   Add the flour, mustard and cayenne, stirring it in well and allowing it to cook for a couple minutes.   


 Stir in the vegetable stock along with the broccoli stems.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  Uncover and stir in the broccoli florets.  Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes.  


Remove the cover and mash it a bit with a potato masher.  Don't mash it too much, as you want a coarse texture.  Stir in the cheddar and cream.   Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.  Ladle into heated bowls.  Top with some grated cheese and serve.

6 comments

  1. Yum. I haven't eaten broccoli soup since I was pregnant with Will, 25 years ago. But that appeals. Sadly I have a whole head of cauliflower and it is not allowed on the FODMAP diet. Sigh! I might make a version of this soup and use the cauli up. Mum might eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower would certainy work well in this Suzan! I hope you do get a chance to make it and that mum enjoys! xo

      Delete
  2. My Mom puts some broccoli soup in another pot and uses the immersion blender for my Dad's so it will be creamy. That way she still gets hers chunky the way she likes it. It's looks so good, it's making me hungry! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea J! Why didn't I think of that! Thaks! xo

      Delete
  3. I just made a very similar one..the weather has been so appropriate for soups:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!