Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

Friday 11 March 2016

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

Well, here we are.  It's the end of the week and I find myself looking through the refrigerator to find all of the bits and pieces and trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  

Not that I mind really  . . .  I quite like the challenge of looking in the refrigerator and seeing what I can come up with.  It makes things more exciting.  

 I suppose my experience in years and years of cooking helps me a lot in that way . . .  that and my love of all things culinary, because it means that I have a natural aptitude for knowing just what flavours go with what. 

That is one of the things about cooking which really excites me.  Being able to look at a bunch of ingredients and then turn them into something delicious!

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

 Today I found a package of 3 pork loin chops, some rashers of streaky smoked bacon, half a cabbage, half a small bottle of apple juice, half a jar of apple sauce, and a tired looking carrot.  I always have onions and potatoes in the larder. 

Although there were only three loin chops in the pack, but they were rather thick and so I figured I could feed four people (two adults and two children) with this, adding some mash on the side.

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

I cooked the bacon and then crumbled it, setting it aside.  

 

I could have browned the chops in the drippings, but there weren't many and so I added a tsp each of butter and olive oil, seasoned my chops really well with salt and pepper and thyme and then browned them off.

 Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

I then added an onion and the carrot (cut into half moons each) to the pan drippings and started softening them.  

Once I got them really started I began to add the cabbage in handfuls along with a bit of apple juice, letting it wilt down a bit before I added more.   

The cabbage was thinly shredded by hand, not too thin, but not too thick either.

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

Once I had all the cabbage in, I stirred in the apple sauce, apple juice, half of the crumbled bacon and gave it a good stir.  

Apples and pork have a wonderful affinity for each other.  They just go together like peas and carots.  Did you know that quite often in the weeks just prior to slaughter time many farmers fatten their pigs up with apples?  It is true. Apparently it sweetens the meat or some such.

Some apple cider vinegar was also added to counteract the sweetness of the applesauce. I nestled the partially cooked chops down into the mixture,  covered it tightly and then let them simmer for a bit.

The end result being some really tender and juicy chops, in a flavourful vegetable sauce mixture that went down a real treat with a pile of mash on the side.

 Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

 I love it when that happens.  They do say waste not want not!  And when you can make the bits left in the refrigerator taste as special as this did, you just know you have done a great job!  

I think I could have added a bay leaf for even more flavours, but will save that now for next time.  We both really enjoyed!  My husband  does love his chops!

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage


*Pan Roasted Chops and Cabbage*
Serves 4

A little something I threw together to use up what I had in the refrigerator.  Delicious! 

4 boneless pork loin chops
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
salt, pepper and dried thyme
6 rashers of streaky bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 medium head of cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin half moons
2 heaped dessert spoons apple sauce
1 TBS cider vinegar
6 fluid ounces of cloudy apple juice (3/4 cup) 


Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

Melt the butter together with the olive oil in a large skillet which  has a lid.   Season the chops all over with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme.   Brown them well on all sides in the butter/olive oil mixture.  Remove to a plate and keep warm.   

Add the onions and carrots to the pan.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens.   Add the Cabbage a handful at a time, along with a bit of the apple juice, adding more cabbage as it wilts down.   Add the remaining apple juice, the apple sauce and the vinegar.  

Tuck the chops in amongst the cabbage mixture.  Cover tightly and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the pork is cooked through and the flavours have nicely melded.  

Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Serve each chop with some of the cabbage mixture.  I served this with creamy mashed potatoes. 

Pan Roasted Chops & Cabbage

This was a really delicious way to eat some simple basic ingredients. I really hope you will be inspired to want to try it for yourself. I highly recommend! 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments

  1. Jacques would love this..I am telling you..and how often we ate pork chops at home..I cannot tell you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Todd's favourite also. I can take or leave most meats, but I did love the flavours of the vegetables in this! Those I could have eaten a whole plate full! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!