Hasselback Turkey Divans

Thursday 25 February 2016

 photo DSCN5441_zpss507t0mu.jpg

 I've seen a lot of "hasselback" type of dishes on Pinterest these past few weeks.   Hasselback Potatoes have long been popular . . .  baking type of potatoes, sliced crosswise every quarter of an inch almost all the way through but staying intact on the bottm, and brushed with an herby garlic butter and baked until the potato edges are all tender on the insides and crisp and buttery at the edges.  They are now doing it with meats.  I've seen a LOT of chicken dishes done this way lately.  When I picked up two turkey breast tenderloin fillets at the shop the other day, I immediately had in mind to cook them in the Hasselback manner!

 photo DSCN5442_zpsx7gbhrqx.jpg

One of my favourite turkey dishes has always been Turkey Divan.  I love it . . . delicious chunks of turkey, with broccoli and cheese.  So good.  When I thought of doing a "hasselback" turkey dish, the idea of using broccoli and cheese immediately came to mine!

 photo DSCN5443_zps5xbd1o3d.jpg

These turkey tenderloins are seasoned and then sliced almost all the way through . . .  crosswise . . .  at half inch intervals and the the open sections are stuffed with a delicious broccoli and cheese stuffing.

 photo DSCN5444_zpsevs9bgal.jpg

 The stuffing is composed of a nice amount of lightly cooked broccoli, which is chopped into smaller bits . .  . mixed with four kinds of cheese and some sauteed onion.  I chose to use low fat strong cheddar, in both white and orange . . .  some gouda for it's melting properties . . .  and a bit of gooeyness  . . .  and then a few tablespoons of cream cheese to bind it all together with some black pepper for seasoning.  The cheese adds enough saltiness I think.

 photo DSCN5445_zpsabi1mrzb.jpg

 I wasn't sure how it was going to work, but I went with it, took a chance and thankfully it turned out beautifully!  I roasted if for half an hour covered . . .  and then another half an hour uncovered so that the cheese got little crispy bits and the turkey all golden brown . . .  it was done perfectly, but I do suggest you test it about 45 minutes in just to be sure.

  photo DSCN5446_zpslkrpzoez.jpg

You don't want to risk overcooking it and drying it out  Altogether this was stunningly delicious!  It was so attractive as well, very taste tempting.  I served it with some mashed sweet potatoes and garden peas for a delicious entree that fed four people quite generously.

 photo DSCN54411_zpst7hvfoll.jpg

 
*Hasselback Turkey Divans*
Serves 4

I almost hate to call these hasselbacks because that is potatoes right, but this is an idea I copied from the delicious potatoes which are sliced in this same way, except this is turkey tenderloin fillets, sliced and stuffed with a delicious broccoli and cheese stuffing. 

two turkey breast tenderloins (each about 340g in weight or 12 ounces each)
1 small head of broccoli, cooked until crispy tender and chopped
1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely minced
1 tsp butter
60g of grated strong cheddar cheese (I used the 30% less fat one) (1/2 cup)
30g of grated low fat orange cheddar cheese ( again used the 30% less fat)  (1/4 cup)
30g of grated gouda cheese (a melty cheese) (1/4 cup)
2 TBS lower fat cream cheese
freshly ground black pepper 



 photo DSCN5445_zpsabi1mrzb.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Lightly spritz a baking dish large enough to hold the turkey tenderloins comfortably with some low fat cooking spray.

Melt the butter in a small skillet and add the onion.  Cook until tender.  Add this to the chopped cooked broccoli.  Cut the turkey breast tenderloins almost all the way through to the bottom every 1/2 inch all the way down the length of them.  Season with some salt and pepper.  Place into the baking dish.


Mix together the cheeses with the chopped broccoli and onions until well blended, seasoning them with some freshly ground black pepper.   Stuff this mixture down into the slits which you have cut into the tenderloins, dividing the mixture between the two.  Cover lightly with foil and then place into the heated oven.   Roast for 1/2 hour, then remove the foil and roast for a further half hour, or until the juices from the turkey run clear and it tests cooked through.


Allow to stand for several minutes before cutting each one in half and serving.

 photo DSCN5449_zpsx16fpltl.jpg

Bon appetit!

PS - Here is a tiny peek at how they look inside, just so you know.  More scrumminess!

 photo DSCN5451_zpsegmo89z5.jpg

8 comments

  1. Those look AMAZING!!! My family would not enjoy the broccoli, but I am sure there are other fillings that would be just as delightful. It may make for an interesting version of Cordon Bleu using coarsely chopped ham...hmmm, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty amazing Michigan and you are right, the recipe lends itself to playing around and a multitude of possibilities! xo

      Delete
  2. I made these for supper last night and they were absolutely delicious! Thanks so much. We will definitely be having them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I am so pleased that you made these for your family and they were enjoyed, but I am even more pleased that you took the time to come back and let us all know! Thank you so much! xo

      Delete
  3. I am making these! I have tried so so hard to cut meat from my diet but I am so limited with other things due to allergies, I just can't. Not completely. Your site always makes me so hungry! Love you, my friend XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! These are very nice. I hope you'll try them! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!