Easy Cherry Cobbler

Saturday 11 October 2014

 photo SAM_7525_zps1819c289.jpg

If you are like me, you always have a few recipes tucked away that you can execute at the drop of a hat should unexpected company drop in.  This is one of my favourite desserts that I can throw together very quickly and which I always have the things in the larder to make.


 photo SAM_7526_zps559b4984.jpg

It may not be winning any beauty contests, because it certainly isn't anything special to look at . . .  but when it comes to Miss Congeniality and Miss Ingenuity, it's bringing home all the tropies.

  photo SAM_7528_zpsf213c5ab.jpg

It uses no complicated ingredients . . .  just heated canned sour cherries, a simple batter, some sugar and some butter.   You layer these together in a baking dish and bang it into the oven and in about half an hour or less . . .  you have the most amazing dessert to present at the table!

 photo SAM_7530_zps439ed0a9.jpg

I don't know HOW it works, only that it does.  It's like magic.  I am sure there is some sort of chemical reaction that causes the batter to sink to the bottom, the cherries to fill up the middle and that sweet crust to form on top.  It's really quite amazing.


 photo SAM_7532_zpsb2637860.jpg

I like to dust the top with some icing/confectioners sugar for looks, but it's not really necessary.  Slap on some cream and Cinderella is ready for the ball.  And I'll tell you one thing . . .  most people come back for seconds.  Seriously.  OH, and if you do happen to have any leftover the next day? (Not very likely, but possible.)   It's still pretty tasty.

 photo SAM_7529_zps9bcc7bef.jpg


*Easy Cherry Cobbler*
Serves 4 to 6


This is so easy to do and is so delicious.   You get a cake like mixture on the bottom with the cherries and a crispy topping on top.  We like cream with it, but ice cream or custard would be equally as good.  

425g tin of sour cherries, undrained (15 ounces)
140g of plain flour (1 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
245g of sugar divided (1 1/4 cup)
225ml milk (1 cup)
pinch salt
125g of butter melted (1/2 cup)


 photo SAM_7533_zpse717c902.jpg



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 7.


 photo SAM_7535_zps39623cc2.jpg

Bring the cherries to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Remove from the heat and set aside.   Whisk together the flour, baking powder, 200g (1 cup) of the sugar, the salt and the milk in a bowl, until smooth.  Pour the butter into a 2 litre/2 quart baking dish.  Pour the flour mixture over the butter.   Pour the cherries over top of the flour mixture.  Do NOT stir.  Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.

  photo SAM_7537_zpsba8b54a0.jpg


 Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until set, golden brown and bubbling.   Serve warm with or without cream, ice cream or custard.

13 comments

  1. I have never seen or bought sour cherries in a can..I need to now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cobblers Marie !look delicious.
    I made some of my recipes qith cherries in a csn are really good!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dessert has J's name written all over it Monique!

    YOU will love this recipe Gloria! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie. Can you somehow substitute plain frozen sour cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not say for sure Heather as the liquid from the cherries plays a part in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been hungry for a cherry pie for weeks now, and after seeing your recipe for cherry cobbler I decided to make that instead. It was delicious!!!! It's very cold here in Virginia and this warm and comforting dessert hit the spot. Your recipes are yummy and reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, thank you so much for taking the time to make this and then let me know how much you enjoyed it! You made me smile. :-) So happy you enjoyed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Marie, will canned sour cherries in water work for this recipe or do they need to be the kind in syrup? I'm trying to cut back on sugar where I can, but I don't want to risk ruining the recipe if you say otherwise! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Lindsey, just getting this message. I have never done them with sour cherries in water, so I am afraid I have no answer for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious. Could you please help me out ..what would be the amt of butter in cups ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be 1/2 cup Mary! I had adjusted the recipe to reflect this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good grief Marie this looks delicious! This is a must make for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It is pretty good for sure! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!