Triple Chocolate Muffins

Saturday 15 February 2014


 photo SAM_3134_zps1eb8a940.jpg 

I confess.  I love chocolate and it doesn't matter what kind of chocolate it is.  Dark, milk . . .   in cakes and cookies . . .  good candy bars, good chocolates . . . pies and puddings.   The only kind I am not fond of is chocolate milk or chocolate ice cream.  I'm not even really fussy on hot chocolate drinks.  I don't know why that is. It is a mystery to me too.

 photo SAM_3139_zps6b16d8a5.jpg

The Toddster of course, he doesn't like chocolate in any form other than chocolate candies or hot chocolate.   I know!  It just ain't human, but I'm not complaining as that always means more brownies for me!!

  photo SAM_3140_zps4e4f0092.jpg

Chocolate Baked goods are notoriously difficult to get a good photograph of.  I don't know why that is.   I apologize for a lack of tasty photos of these fabulously delicious muffins.   No matter how I tried, they just did not want to come out right.  Nevermind . . .

 photo SAM_3141_zps40bb6784.jpg

You will just have to take my word for it that they are tasty.  Moist.   Chocolaty.   Stogged full of three kinds of chocolate.  Hard to resist . . . and . . . mine, all . . . mine.   I ain't complaining!

 photo SAM_3144_zps4f71fd41.jpg


*Triple Chocolate Muffins*
Makes 8 extra large muffins, or 12 regular 

I have just one word for these . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . Warm they are divine.  Cold they are bliss.  Maybe a bit too much like dessert to be a muffin, but why quibble.  A rose by any other name and all that.  


6 TBS unsalted butter
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (115g)
2 cups plain flour (280g)
2/3 cup granulated sugar (126.5g)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (37g)
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (296ml)
1 large free range egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks (90g)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chunks (90g)  

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter a muffin tin really well, or line with paper liners.  Set aside. (Don't forget to butter the top of the tin too!)  

Place the butter and one half of the  bittersweet chocolate into a saucepan.   Melt over very low heat, whisking to blend. (Alternately do in a bowl set over simmering water, taking care that the bottom of the bowl not touch the water.)  Remove from the heat and set aside. 


Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl.   Whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.  Pour this along with the melted chocolate/butter mixture over top of the dry ingredients.  Stir just to combine.  Fold in all of the chocolates.  Divide the batter evenly amongst the muffin cups.  They should be at least 2/3 full.    

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes out clean.  Don't over-bake.  You want them a bit squidgy not dry.  Allow to cool in the pan for five minutes before tipping out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container.

5 comments

  1. These are wonderful I love chocolate too and yes I mremember Todd doesn't like!
    Just lovely!
    Hugs and love xxcx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the opposite in our home. I don't like chocolate at all, but my Swede could live on it. I'd hate to think of the two of you in a room together with a plate of chocolates :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband ..and whole family actually loves chocolate..these look like winners Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! So chocolatey :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gloria, Monique and Pink Sugar!

    Marie, there might be the battle to end all battles for the last one! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!